a week in words and images

6.19.2011

Well, it was my birthday on the 15th. I decided to make cupcakes for the peeps at work and being my un-domestic-self I scavenged for a good (non-googled) recipe. I discovered this book that my mom got me when I was 6 or 7 with aspirations of a well-mannered domestic goddess for a daughter...
Things didn't quite turn out that way but I still enjoy making these cupcakes from scratch every now and again. So, why not on my birthday?

Do you remember this book? All you South African girls growing up in the 80's, being members of the Daan Retief book club? Those were the days... *sigh*

After a lot of hand mixing (since electronic mixers don't agree with me...I've broken about five in my life) these lovely golden cakes popped out of the oven...mmmmmm

Schnuki also contributed her bit by being under my feet all the time and licking up all the icing and flour that found the way to the floor, resulting in a funny looking Dalmation-Dachshund

We went to Isabella's cake and food shop (as if the cupcakes weren't enough) for lunch. Had a lovely time and it was also quite a laugh having the very manly colleagues there against the very feminine, pink backdrop. They serve a killer roast lamb sandwich there if I could make a recommendation.


We also went to Bellbottoms this weekend. For those of you who are not familiar with this amazing little place, it is an antique / vintage shop in Pierneef street with the most amazing quirky vintage finds. It is always nice to go there and get completely lost in nostalgic feelings and things. 






There we go - a lot of local for the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment